Frequently Asked Questions

This page covers frequently asked questions in regards to our services, questions that many customers have asked us over the years of providing exemplary services in Surrey and the surrounding area. If you don’t see the answer you’re looking for, please contact us directly.​

We do both – if you need design work and build work, we provide both all in house, we also offer Design and Build separately if you just need the 1 service.

For most works, architectural drawings are needed, so yes. If you need architectural drawings get in touch.

We will only be able to give you an accurate quote after a site visit. However, in some instances, depending on the complexity or scale of the works an initial quote may be given, but this will only be intended as a guide.

We strive to create your planning drawings within a short timeframe, aiming to complete a full survey within 2 weeks of your consultation. The first revision of your plans will be delivered within 2 weeks of your survey. Your designer will then invite you to comment on our proposal and make any minor amendments, once approved the final proposal will be submitted to the local authority.

Well, that completely depends on what works you are looking to have done. However, many works may fall under the permitted development, allowing you to build without planning permission.

Typically, a planning decision is reached with 8-10 weeks from submittal, this does however depend on your application type and the complexity of your project.

Once granted this is valid for 3 years from the date issued, should you begin your build within this time your permission will be extended to 5 years from issue.

Nothing could be simpler, the first stage would be to arrange a site visit, where a member of our team will come and discuss the scale and detail of the works you are looking to complete.

The quick answer is no, however it is unlikely that we ever will be the least expensive. We offer excellent value and superb results with honest pricing and achievable timescales.

We take great pride in our finishing joinery, plastering, decorating and tiling.

Yes most certainly. We can arrange for you to visit one of our previous or ongoing projects at a time suitable for everyone involved.

In terms of men on site, we look to work from 07:30-16:30 Monday to Friday.

Your construction project’s duration will vary greatly depending on several project-specific factors, like the project’s size and complexity. 

This all depends on what work is being done. But in the majority of cases, yes! We will remain tidy and the site will be left as clean as we found it, to enable as little disruption to your living space.

Yes, we will work with you to ensure the design fully meets your requirements and amendments are therefore included in your package. Should you wish to add an additional element, for example an extension or change the original brief however we may need to requote.

A legal requirement for building work to meet the Building Regulations (2010) and building control services, also known as building control bodies, check that work complies with the Building Regulations and associated legislation. Work that needs to be checked by building control includes:

  • Extensions, conversions (loft, garage), internal alterations, basements, new buildings.

It depends on the project but for most major construction projects in your home, such as extensions and conversions, you’ll need to make a building regs application so that your local building control team can visit the site and check that your work is compliant.

Most building projects – even small extensions, knock-throughs or improvements – need to comply with the Building Regulations. This applies in cases where planning permission is not needed.

That will depend on the type of project, the type of application and the local council area you live in. 

The building regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings.

Planning is interested in the way our towns, cities and countryside is developed. This includes the appearance of buildings, the use of land and landscaping considerations, highway access and the impact that the development will have on the general environment.

Yes. You should discuss any proposed building work with those neighbours who are most likely to be affected – either by the finished structure or the building process through things like noise or dust.

Party Wall Act 1996 applies to builds that include:

  • Work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • Building on the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • Excavating for foundations near a neighbouring property

If any of these factors apply, you must give notice to your neighbours before you commence your build. A Party Wall Surveyor may need to be instructed to oversee the agreement.

For a period of five years, between May 2013 and May 2019 the government has introduced a new scheme that allows single storey extensions to be built between 4 and 8 meters for detached houses and 3 to 6 meters for all other houses. Scaled drawings must be submitted along with the appropriate application.

Permitted Development Rights are only valid for residential properties. This may also be referred to as Lawful Development. The rights stipulate the height, width, material, use and other factors of the proposal.

TN Design & Build Team

architect and team in surrey